From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|184th Intelligence Wing|
184th Intelligence Wing emblem
|Branch||United States Air Force|
|Role||Intelligence analysis and information protection|
|Part of||National Guard/Air Combat Command|
|Garrison/HQ||McConnell AFB, Kansas|
|Current commander||Colonel J. J. Hernandez|
The United States Air Force’s 184th Intelligence Wing is located at McConnell AFB, Kansas. It is one of three Air National Guard wings that works with the Air Force Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Agency.
Intelligence gathering, information protection, threat deterrence
The 184th Intelligence Wing encompasses a variety of missions at the federal, state, and community levels.
1. Federal: providing combat support for our nation—Guardsmen from our wing provide wartime support in the form of collecting and analyzing intelligence. Some unit members deploy overseas to augment active duty forces.
2. State: support to civil authority—The unit’s primary responsibility is to the state of Kansas to assist civil authorities during natural disasters and civil strife in our state.
3. Community—Members of the 184th add value to our local communities by holding an annual science and technology camp for local kids (called STARBASE), hosting games of the Kansas Special Olympics, and volunteering in various charitable activities.
The 184th Intelligence Wing has more than 1300 personnel, more than half of which are traditional, part-time Guardsmen. The wing’s estimated economic impact during fiscal year 2006 was $113 million. Major equipment operated includes the DTS 10.2 Distributed Common Ground Station.
The 184th Intelligence Wing has a proud history and a wealth of tradition. The unit was activated to federal service during WWII, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War, and has been honored with five Air Force Outstanding Unit Awards for exceptionally meritorious service.
Upon federal recognition as the 127th Observations Squadron on 4 August 1941, the unit was equipped with one BC-1A, one C-47, and four L-1 aircraft. The unit was on extended active duty in the U.S. Army Air Corps from 6 October 1941 to 6 October 1945 with duty in Tennessee and Okinawa, Japan.
Reorganized and re-designated the 127th Fighter Squadron on 7 September 1946, the unit began flying the P-51 Mustang. In December 1949, the unit received the F-84 Thunderjet. Mobilized for the Korean War on 10 October 1950, the 127th transferred to England AFB in Alexandria, Louisiana, became part of the 137th Fighter Bomber Wing and deployed to Chaumont, France.
On 9 July 1952, after 21 months on active duty, the newly designed 127th Fighter Bomber Squadron returned to Wichita. For the following year, due to the shortage of jets in Korea, the unit once again flew the F-51 Mustang. In June 1954, the unit began flying the F-80 Shooting Star jet fighter.
Re-designated the 127th Fighter Interceptor Squadron in January 1958, the unit began flying the F-86 Sabre Jet. In April 1961, the 127th began flying the F-100 Super Sabre and was designated the 127th Tactical Fighter Squadron.
ON 1 October 1962, as the whole Air National Guard reorganized into Groups and Wings, the 184th Tactical Fighter Group was born. In January 1968, after the North Korean seizure of the USS Pueblo, the 184th was ordered to active duty, deployed to Kunsan Air Base, South Korea, and became a part of the 354th Tactical Fighter Wing until released from active duty and returned to state control in June 1969.
On 25 March 1971, the unit became the 184th Tactical Fighter Training Group, a USAF Combat Crew Training School that conducted pilot training in the F-105 Thunderchief for the next nine years.
On 1 October 1973, the 184th assumed responsibility for operating and maintaining the Smoky Hill Weapons Range at Salina, Kansas. With a land area of over 36,000 acres (150 km2), Smoky Hill is the largest and most active Air National Guard weapons range in the country. Soon to be Great Plains Regional Training Center, Smoky Hill is on the leading edge of joint forces training.
On 7 August 1979, the 184th received its first F-4D Phantom II and on 8 October 1979 was re-designated the 184th Tactical Fighter Group, equipped with 50 F-4Ds. In April 1982, the 184th developed the F-4D Fighter Weapons Instructor Course and became the “Top Gun” school to meet the needs of active, Air Force Reserve and Air National Guard fighter aircrews for the Tactical Air Command (TAC).
The 134th Tactical Control Flight, established at McConnell AFB on 15 September 1982, began providing much needed tactical radar control for the 184th fighter training mission.
A second flying squadron, the 177th Tactical Fighter Training Squadron, established on 8 February 1984, became responsible for all F-4D conversion and upgrade training. To meet the F-4 training needs, the 184th flew up to 1,000 sorties a month.
On 8 July 1987, the 184th activated the 161st Tactical Fighter Training Squadron to conduct conversion and upgrade training in the F-16 Fighting Falcon.
The F-4 “Phantom Farewell,” held on 31 March 1990, saw the last F-4’s depart the 184th and the 177th began its conversion to the F-16. The 161 TFTS began converting to F-16 C/D when the first C/D model arrived at McConnell in July 1990. With the deactivation of TAC and stand-up of the newly-established Air Combat Command (ACC) in March 1992, the 184th dropped “Tactical” from its name, becoming a fighter group with fighter squadrons. The 134th was also re-designated the 134th Air Control Squadron.
In 1992 and 1993, the 184th won top honors for best maintenance in Air National Guard. At the same time, it was the largest guard unit in the country with 77 F-16s. In July 1993, the 184th Fighter Group became part of the newly established Air Education and Training Command (AETC).
In July 1994, the unit was re-designated 184th Bomb Group and began converting to the B-1 Lancer, also known as the “Bone,” and once again became part of ACC. On 1 October 1995, the 184th became the 184th Bomb Wing (184 BW). The unit made history on 1 April 1996 when it became the first Air National Guard operational heavy bombardment wing in the country. As it had during its fighter years, the 184th excelled at maintenance, winning the Maintenance Effectiveness Award in 1998 and 2000.
In August 2002, the wing converted to the 184th Air Refueling Wing (184 ARW), flying the KC-135R Stratotanker. The 184 ARW gained four additional missions on 1 October 2002: the 184th Information Operations Group, 161st Intelligence Squadron, 177th Information Aggressor Squadron, and the 299th Network Operations Security Squadron.
In June 2007, the wing’s KC-135s were realigned to its sister unit, the 190th Air Refueling Wing (190 ARW) at Forbes Field (former Forbes AFB) in Topeka, Kansas. This left the wing to capitalize on and grow its information and intelligence missions. It became the 184th Intelligence Wing that year.
The 184th Wing’s unofficial Patch
- Air National Guard/Air Combat Command (1992–Present)
- Air National Guard/Tactical Air Command (1962–1992)
- Air National Guard/Air Defense Command (1950–1962)
- 184th Intelligence Wing (2007–Present)
- 184th Air Refueling Wing (2002–2007)
- 184th Bomb Wing (1995–2002)
- 184th Bomb Group (1992–1995)
- 184th Tactical Fighter Group (1979–1992)
- 184th Tactical Fighter Training Group (1971–1979)
- 184th Tactical Fighter Group (1962–1971)
- 184th Air Defense Wing (1950–1962)
- 184th Intelligence Group
- 161st Intelligence Squadron
- 184th Regional Support Group
- 127th Command and Control Squadron
- 249th Air Support Operations Squadron Smoky Hill Air National Guard Range
- 177th Information Aggressor Squadron
- 299th Network Operations Security Squadron
- 134th Air Control Squadron
- 284th Air Support Operations Squadron
- 184th Medical Group
- McConnell AFB, Kansas (1969–Present)
- Kunsan Air Base, South Korea (1968–1969)
- McConnell AFB, Kansas (1952–1968)
- Alexandria Army Air Base, Louisiana (1950–1952)
- Deployed to Chaumont, France
- Tennessee and Okinawa, Japan (1941–1949)
- KC-135R Stratotanker (2002–2007)
- B-1B Lancer (1994–2002)
- F-16 Fighting Falcon (1987–1993)
- F-4 Phantom II (1979–1990)
- F-105D/F Thunderchief (1971–1979)
- F-100 Super Sabre (1961–1971)
- F-86 Sabre (1958–1961)
- F-80 Shooting Star (1954–1958)
- P-51 Mustang (1952–1954)
- F-84 Thunderjet (1949–1952)
- P-51 Mustang (1946–1949)
- North American BC-1A (1941-1946?)
- C-47 Skytrain (1941-1946?)
- L-1 Vigilant (1941-1946?)
- Rogers, B. (2006). United States Air Force Unit Designations Since 1978. ISBN 1-85780-197-0
- World Airpower Journal. (1992). US Air Force Air Power Directory. Aerospace Publishing: London, UK. ISBN 1-880588-01-3
- Air Force Personnel Center Awards Search (Post-1991)